[CF-Devel] client image handling changes.

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Mar 6 15:55:25 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:09:38PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

       But what thing I plan to do unless there is a very vocal outcry is make

      cache_images behaviour the only supported option.  This is done to simplify the

      code, and the cases where you would not want to use that cache behaviour are

      very limited (the only case readily available is if you are playing on a server

      with very close (eg, LAN) connectivity and don't ever plan to play on other

      servers).

The only complaint I have about this has to do with how the client currently
caches images. At the moment when I play on a LAN server using image
caching is actually slower because the client stores each image in a
seperate file in the cache directory. So everytime I get an image it
has to open a file, write the data, and close the file which results in a
disk sync. Using a single memory mapped based file would probably be
better, and much faster.

	-Scott