[CF List] wraight (& fireborns)

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Mar 5 23:19:15 CST 2002

       I think fireborns using fire for food is good - it is relatively simple to d

      and does change the nature of the race a bit.  And it does then mean you don'

      need to carry food at all, as it doesn't do any good - you just need to carry

      those wands of fireball instead.  Having a damage -> food mapping probably ma

      the most sense (the damage would be before modified by resistance).  I sort o

      like the idea of a firepit in the tavern that the fireborns are hanging out i

      to get their food back up.  Probably having free firepits in town is probably

      fire exchange - if something like lava is used for the firepit, you don't get

      the food back that quickly, and even if free, it sort of makes up for the fac

      that there are probably many times when out adventuring there is no fire near

      which means you need to use a wand/scroll/spell to feed.  An extension of thi

      idea might be that cold damage effective reduces food by some amount, but sin

      they are already vulnerable to cold, that may be a bit much.

I'm strongly against making fireborn eat fire instead of eating
food.  Nearly all the maps are designed to sustain creatures which
eat food, not fire.  Fireborn would thus be screwed--unless they were
saddled with lots of wands of fireball/scrolls, WAY harder to obtain
than food.

Second, the food code would have to have ugly special purpose code
to handle fireborn.  I'd rather not hard-wire TOO much "archetype"
type stuff into the game rule-code.  In fact, I'd rather see
the fireborn deleted as a character type, instead, and *I* introduced
the fireborn.

Third, what's so horrible about the idea of fireborn consuming food?
*We* oxidize food using enzymes to make energy, why can't a fireborn
oxidize food using flamey?  A lit tallow candle is burning
fat from an animal, after all.

       For wraights, it is probably easier to abstract it to all races that are

      undead.  I'm not sure the idea of sucking hp from those around you is that gr

I don't see anything wrong with "if(!op->undead) food--;".  That's
special purpose code, but "undead" is already an object property, and
many places do special checks for undead anyway.

Regards,

PeterM