[CF List] New To Crossfire

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Mar 29 23:13:09 CST 2002

Joris Bontje wrote:

 I think the latency issue is one of the big reasons for multiple servers.  In
crossfire, each turn is 120 ms.  In many cases, the combat will be settled one
way or the other in some number of real-time seconds.  Given these
considerations, latency can mean the difference between noticing your hp going
down and using that heal potion before your dead and actually being dead.

      Some maps, for instance pupland' raffle1 is very popular because of the

      specific enemies you find there.. There are often requests to the

      dungeon master to manually reset it. With more people you will have more

      of these problems. I think shortening the reset time isnt good for

      everything, having more maps is better.

 Yep - and duplicating the map probably doesn't solve the problem (Eg, have a
raffle1a, raffle1b, all the same content but different instances).  In that
case, the player may just do them in order since if they liked the first one for
hte monsters it contains, they probably like the second one with the same
monsters.

 Many maps have a problem in that they don't reset if anyone visits them before
they would reset.  Eg, if raffle1 is due to reset at 1 pm, and someone visits it
at 12:45 pm, now it won't reset to 2:45 pm.  This is controllable in the maps
themselves, and all shops ignore that visit factor, but those are about the only
that do.

 The reason behind that is that it could take more than 2 hours to solve a
dungeon, and you don't want the early parts resetting on you.

      Thanks for starting this discussion, I think it is very usefull and we

      can learn a lot by observing the current usage and state of the game.

      Joris Bontje / mids

      --

      Gpg Key: Id=0xF19326A9 /

      http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~mids/jbontje.pub

      Key fingerprint = 730D 9B3A F406 F28A 957D 6397 31E8 6D4C F193 26A9

         Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature