[CF-Devel] some bug in client-1.2.1

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue May 14 23:44:48 CDT 2002

Bernd Edler wrote:

      Hello

      I recently updated to cf-1.2.0 and client-1.2.1 got

      the following problems:

      server problem:

      I can not reach certain NS/WE lines on the world map.

      At a certain point you will always jump 2 fieleds at once.

      I assume these to be, where the world map is split into smaller ones.

      I am using the old (small) world map.

  I believe this is a very old bug - one of the 'seams' on the world map doesn't
quite match up.  There are also some problems with maps located right at the
edge - sometimes you can only get to the entrance when approaching from one
direction.

  Its difficult to fix these issues.  The real plan is to eventually switch to
the bigworld maps, but we need people that are willing to do some work moving
the old maps into that new world mapset.

      If i turn off the fog of war, i get graphics residues.

      E.g: I see copies of monsters or moster parts, where there

      is no monster any more, or spell effect stuff etc.

      Everything that does move creates this. I can even see

      copies of myself. Fixed objects like walls are not affected.

      I usually have mapsize 13x13 but i also tested 11x11 and 25x25/scaling 50%

      I don't think this is a library problem because:

      1. I get this with both gcfclient and cfclient with both

         sdl turned on/off on runtime/compile time.

      2. client-1.2.0 works (using the same library-versions)

  I'm currently redoing how the fog of war code is handled in the client.  This
is somewhat related to having merged image support.  But mostly it changes the
way the code is handled - in the current clients, depending on fog of war
settings determines when information is cleared.  The new logic I am working on
always uses the same clearing logic - instead what changes is the display logic
- it checks the fog of war setting and status of the space to determine what it
should do.  This will hopefully fix things up.

      lighting:

      If i turn on the fog of war, the lighting code goes amok.

      Some steps ahead of where the character is looking, there is

      a line of full lighted squares.

      Some steps behind there is a line of utter darkness.

      These will move accordingly as i turn/move around.

      The other squares are lit wrongly also.

      With FOW off,it looks ok on entering the map,but i can't tell if it

      really works as the garbage residues will interfere.

  I'll look into this.

      sound:

      I get distorted sound on all 1.2.x clients

      (to long and with lot of noise) , like 16bit sound

      played at 8bit or something like that.

      --enable-old-sound did not help.

      Other programs have no problems (lbreakout(sdl),mpg321,timidity etc.)

      This is most certainly a driver problem.

      Maybe you know, or know someone i could ask, or something i should read or so.

  You can play with the settings in ~/.crossfire/sndconfig.  I'm not sure if it
will make much difference - in theory, the sound logic checks the hardware
capabilities and sets them approropriately for the user settings.  However, it
is possible that it is missing some error checking logic, eg, it is telling the
sound hardware to switch to 16 bit, but not checking to see that the driver in
fact did switch to 16 bit.  A similar issue with stereo could result in similar
problems.

  You don't mention what sound system (alsa or oss) you are using.  the ALSA
sound system certainly isn't as well tested by me at least as the OSS is.