[CF-Devel] Re: Java Crossfire Client

Bjoern Helfesrieder bjoern.helfesrieder at t-online.de
Sat May 18 08:45:43 CDT 2002

Hi there,

I can give you the source code of my implementation. I had the sources from
Phil once, but in fact did a reimplementation of about 90% of the stuff,
just
looking at at Phil's implementation for C/S protocoll and I/O issues.
The design
is entirely different.

Of course provided, that Phil does not object to this. Personally, I
don't see
a reason, as there is not much of his code included. Some of the stuff is
"common CF knowledge" anyway - every CF Client implementents it the
same way.

However, I have discontinued work on it about 1 year ago for private
reasons (job workload) and won't pick it up again. All in all I spend
about 3-4 weeks of coding, mainly to get some quick hands-on experience
with Java-programming.

The client still loads (amazing, I just tried) via Webstart from

     http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern.helfesrieder/newcfclient/newcfclient.jnlp

Since it connects hard-coded, to Michael Toennies' server,  which he
obviously
recently changed to ISO view style, the display is now messed up
(altough the client still
does run). It will probably work connecting to an non-iso style server.
(you need to
have an account already set up on the server, the client does not handle
the
initial character generation sequence)._
_
<

     http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern.helfesrieder/newcfclient/newcfclient.jnlp

     >The
state of the implementation is definitely "unfinished". However, you could
walk around freely with the map-display stuff working fine. PNG-image
handling is implemented (based on Chris Nokelberg's "sixlegs" PNG Loader
Java Library). Some interactions with the environment (apply stuff etc.)
also implemented. Sound output implemented etc etc.

Be aware I cannot help with any coding issues, I can just hand out the
source -
with no IPR restrictions from my side. Just have my name appear somewhere
in the source :-)))

Maybe it is a starting point for you. Contact me if you are interested.
(

     bjoern.helfesrieder at t-online.de

     )

Kind Regards, Bjoern