[CF List] Windows DX Client

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 1 23:11:17 CDT 2002

I have a question about the Windows DX client.  I have
had no trouble with the DX client for months, but I
recently reloaded my Windows 98 2nd Edition system,
and now the DX client now no longer handles the
video properly.

I use a nvidia Riva TNT2 chipset card - and it is the
same one that used to work, as is all of the other
hardware in the system.

The opening screen with the red bar graph that shows
up while the software is loading works fine.  The
dragon screen shows up very dark as does the game
screen.  Also, I can no longer see the whole screen
even if I adjust my monitor as far as it will go.
The screen is far wider than my monitor will display.
I have tried 1280x1023 and 1024x768 video modes.

I have not totally twiddled with the control panel
settings for the video card yet, though I have tried
a bit without success.  So far changes have either
negatively affected the Windows display, and made
no real effective improvement to the client screen,
but, then again, I don't know what all the setting
mean.

I don't have a clue about DX issues, so I am not sure
where to look.  I downloaded the latest drivers from
nvidia's site, and have the latest DX from Microsoft.
dxdiag doesn't show any problems, but the test video
in dxdiag is so dark that I can barely make out the
test images.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions.  If not,
that's okay, but I was curious.  My Linux system and
GTK client are temporarily down, so I miss having the
DX client working.

I suppose if I were to guess I would say maybe there
is a slight variation on the version of Microsoft
DX support or maybe a different hardware driver,
but, it also seems unusual that newer drivers
would not work when the older ones did.

Kevin Bulgrien