[CF-Devel] skill musings.

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Sun Nov 17 04:31:14 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:50:39 -0500,

     pstolarc at theperlguru.com

       wrote:

     On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net

      >  wrote:

     (quoted text trimmed in areas with "...")

     Anyhow.. I had the idea of implementing a system where you build your character

     from scratch. ... break melee into multiple weapon diciplines.  ...

     break magic into it's component disciplines.

     Finally, each skill can be learned in either minimum, medium, or maximum

     "attunement".  As an example, minimum might mean that you gain exp in that

     skill at 33% of the normal rate, and your maximum level caps out around 35 or

     so in that skill.  medium == 66%, maximum == 100%.

     <snip>

My previous long winded message is largely superceded by this long winded
message.  It's not that well organized, but oh well.  Enjoy.

This is a brief outline of IRC discussion on this issue, and how things
stand currently.  My prior message assumed that players merely selected the
ability to gain new skills, but didn't actually get those skills.  Tim
Rightnour said that players choose skills, and only get skills through the
skill gem system.  (Skill scrolls are entirely removed from the game.)

A player either starts with a character class, or (for the advanced user)
starts with a quantity of skill gems.  As a player gains levels, they gain
additional skill gems.  Something along the lines of one skill gem every
level, and some bonus skill gems at various milestones, (ie. every 5
levels.)

The player can go into the training room, to use the skill gems to gain new
skills.  This is done with a new object.  In this new object, other_arch
gets removed, and contr->inv gets inserted.  We need to handle removing
multiples of an item (ie. 6 skill gems.)  This method of payment is to
prevent players from swapping skill gems.

Each skill has a proficiency level associated with it.  (stored in nrof)
low proficiency means that the character can use the skill, has a low level
cap (ie. can only get up to level 30 in that skill), and gains a reduced
amount of experience (ie. 75%).  Medium proficiency has a medium skill
level cap (ie. 70), and an average amount of experience (ie. 100%).  Expert
proficiency means that the character can reach the maximum level in that
skill, and gets a slight bonus to experience gained in that skill (ie.
115%).

We should probably lower experience requirements for the first 10 levels,
because characters are mostly going to have low proficiency in all skills,
and will gain less experience overall.

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear, players can gain new skills later
on in life by spending skill gems earned in the course of adventuring.
Either by gaining levels, or through a limited number of "do only once"
skill gem quests.

The formula for increasing your skill level was proposed as:
    d = difficulty of the skill (ie. sword use is harder than cooking.)
    d = [1..3] or [1..4]
    Increase skill from unknown to basic costs (1* d) skill gems
    Increase skill from basic to medium costs (2 * d) skilll gems
    Increase skill from medium to expert costs (3 * d) skill gems
Say, basic is 3 gems, medium is 6 and max is 9.. to get to max they have to
pay 18 gems

There will also be additional options available to the player during
character creation only.  (ie. reduce max dex by 1 for a skill gem.  Pay a
skill gem to increase max dex by 1.)  We don't want players changing these
things from quest to quest, depending on what the quest calls for, but they
can add flavour.  ( I especially like the "missing an arm & finger"
penalty. )

Anybody with those gods that restrict skill use or with meditation that
pays for a proscribed skill will just be SOL.

Please note that this new skill system is a work in progress, numbers are
largely made up and not at all tested for balance, and that comments are
more than welcome.

-Philip