[CF-Devel] New Skill System (Draft - Magic system)

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Wed Nov 20 04:03:56 CST 2002

     ===== Original Message From Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net

      > =====

     On 20-Nov-02 Johnny Shelley wrote:

      The main problem is in how to deal with the magic system and schools. I

      will post one system as a follow up to this thread and Tim will post a

      second view. We leave it to the list members to decide on which method

      is the preferred route.

Proposal I.

     My idea, is to break each of the magic paths into it's own skill, and leave

     the

     concepts of attuned/repelled alone.

     In this way, Fire magic would be it's own skill.  So when you learned, and

     cast

     a fire spell, it would contribute exp to the fire path, and your casting

     level

     would be your level in the fire path.

Sounds an interesting way. It keeps the current system, only extending it.

     1) Paths that have no method of gaining experience, would either have to be

     combined with other paths, or dealt with in some other manner.

     It is indeed the most important problem to solve. Probably each spell that
doesn't give any experience points when successfully cast should be examined
to check which options are available.

     2) Some paths have only 2-3 spells in them.  These paths are likely going to

     need to be combined with other paths, to keep them from being totally

     worthless

     vs the cost to purchase.

     Probably some Wizardry paths should be removed, or maybe some new spells
created to fill them a little. Doesn't sounds like an impossible job to me.

Proposal II.

     The idea behind this method of handling spell paths is that every path

     starts as denied, requiring characters to pay in increasing amolunts to

     reach repelled, standard and attuned status in a path.

     An interesting idea. Basically, the formula you use would be something like:

Casting Lvl = (Skill Lvl) + f(Spellpath Lvl).

Comparing this with the Garbled's system:

Casting Lvl = Spellpath Lvl

So, the only significant difference is that in Garbled's system, there's no
global skill anymore for Wizardry.

     The major benefits of this method are a simple method to calculate max

     spell points and grace

     This is just an implementation argument, not a gaming one.

     and not having to determine a method for awarding

     experience to 'non combat' spells.

     I don't understand why it wouldn't require a method to award experience with
non-combat spells. Spellcasters would have to be rewarded for their work in
some way (getting points allowing them to move from Repelled to Attuned in a
magical school). How are they supposed to buy upgrades of their magical skills
?

     What this method does not allow is the high level of differentian by

     making each spell path a separate skill category as Tim's system would.

     True indeed.

     base cost 1 (weak / not commonly used spell paths)

     --

     <snip>
I don't like the idea of splitting spellpaths into such cost levels. It looks

     base cost 2 (commonly used spells)

     --

     Null - any spell without a spell path

No spell should be allowed to be 'Null' IMHO.

Well, I'd tend to prefer the first system here. Of course, it doesn't have a
global wizardry skill, but I think it is its only drawback. It is flexible and
it reuses current game mechanisms instead of recreating them. It also doesn't
impose an artificial differenciation between magical shools, relying only on
the experience gain system to maintain playbalance.

Y. Chachkoff
Help supporting JXFire ! (

     http://jxfire.sf.net

     )