[CF-Devel] New Skill System (Draft)

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Thu Nov 21 10:13:18 CST 2002

Something I wrote up while we were discussing the new system.  It's a bit
terse, but explains why we felt a new system was necessary, and what goals
we hope to fulfill, as well as some goals that are fulfilled by the current
system, which the new system would have to fulfill as well.

What are the goals of changing the experience system?

* character differentiation (high level chars all end up looking identical)
* allow characters to learn & develop secondary skills as well as their
primary skill. (ie. no one trick ponies)
* encourage team play through varied competencies
*have differentiation show up at lower levels, and not just once players
start hitting the level caps. (in regard to different skill levels)
*not to dictate from the start what characters can and can't do in
"absolute" terms.
*encourage use of some of the under-utilized skills.
*gaining new skills shouldn't be something you buy in a random store.
*increase replay value

And also, we don't intend to remove classes.  We think classes can coexist
with a more complex system.  If you choose a class, you simply choose a
template to use, rather than picking every skill individually.

-Philip