[CF-Devel] New Skill System (Draft)

Preston Crow pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net
Fri Nov 22 10:00:53 CST 2002

       RE exp for wands, scrolls, and other magic - while it can be said it is

     the magic of the item that is doing the killing, you could start to make

     the same argument in lot of other places (it is the fact that I had a

     resist fire potion that I was able to kill that big dragon, etc).  The fact

     is the player knew to use the item in the right circumstance - that should

     be worth something just like knowing to use potions lets you defeat some

     otherwise really tought monsters or whatnot.  Also, giving exp for these

     things might actually inspire people to use them.  Maybe they shouldn't get

     full exp, and it probably should just go into a misc (overall total)

     category, but saying they should get nothing for using magic items to kill

     creatures is a bit extreme I think.

I completely agree on this point.

I remember using wands and rods regularly back before the skill system when
they added to my experience point total.  Now I never bother with them,
except for non-combat rods (e.g., create earth wall).  If I could get
experience in the "use magic item" category, that would change.  Just set a
low experience multiplier if you think it's an abusive way to get
experience.

And maybe someday someone will come up with a use for the "use magic item"
skill level.  Perhaps some items can't be used at low levels (like scrolls
that require higher litteracy levels to use).  Suppose your favorite rings
had level restrictions.  Suppose that if your "use magic item" level is
high enough, you can remove weaker cursed items.

--PC