[CF-Devel] CVS nov28

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Thu Nov 28 01:45:48 CST 2002

On 28-Nov-02 Todd Mitchell wrote:

      any ideas?   Build looks normal to my untrained eye, I ran it a few times

      through to see if I had missed something.

I see this on NetBSD all the time.  usually I have to wait 1-2 minutes for the
old sockets to close out.  Unfortunately, CF uses SO_REUSEPORT.. which in
netbsd:
bind(2):
SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
     bind() was changed in NetBSD 1.4 to prevent the binding of a socket to
     the same port as an existing socket when all of the following is true:
           o   either of the existing or new addresses is INADDR_ANY,
           o   the uid of the new socket is not root, and the uids of the cre-
               ators of the sockets are different,
           o   the address is not a multicast address, and
           o   both sockets are not bound to INADDR_ANY with SO_REUSEPORT set.

     This prevents an attack where a user could bind to a port with the host's
     IP address (after setting SO_REUSEADDR) and `steal' packets destined for
     a server that bound to the same port with INADDR_ANY.

Perhaps other OS's have done the same more recently?

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS