[CF-Devel] Monsters sleeping

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Oct 30 01:22:40 CST 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      So I've noticed recently there was a change to make monsters far away from you

      sleep.  I'm wondering if this is having the intended effect.

      What I see, is that areas that used to be packed end-to-end with monsters, are

      now containing one or two, and a generator at the back of the room. Someone on

      IRC mentioned that this is due to the monsters sleeping, and blocking the

      generators.

      It doesn't really have the old "gauntlet" feel when everything is just a big

      empty room.  But thats just my opinion.  I've also found that my spells are a

      lot less useful, as I can't area-blast a horde anymore, I have to run around

      picking them off singly.

  IMO, the way it now works now is probably preferable.

  There has always been the issue of there just being too many monsters, and
thus too much loot.  This solves some of that problem.

  The bigger problem it solved is that monsters now sit still, so when you get
to the far side of a level (that isn't just a big chamber), the monsters are
still there, instead of all of them coming towards you at the start of the level.

  If an area is supposed to be packed full of monsters, then the map maker
should put those monsters in.

  But IMO, large rooms of lots of generators and monsters are some of the least
interesting levels - great place to get lots of quick/easy exp, but perhaps
thats some of the problem  - making it a little harder to get lots of quick and
easy exp and loot is probably a good thing.