[CF List] BIGworld

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Oct 9 15:56:55 CDT 2002

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > There are some options when you run java that may help this

      > out: -Xmx<num>mb increase the heap size the program can use.

Yes indeed. If you want to open a lot of maps at once and/or
huge ones, run it like "java -Xmx128mb -jar CFJavaEditor.jar".

      > Monsters can cross tiled maps. [...]

      One problem I see with this is player a stirs up some monsters and

      player b comes walking by on his way to newbie map Alpha and gets

      eaten alive.

I agree it would be great if monsters relyably sticked to
certain areas.

Simple blocking squares could help there in several ways.
Having certain mountain- and forest tiles block movement would
allow a better structured worldmap: You can't always go straight,
there can be hidden places, restricted areas, monsters
can't rush around freely...

It might be cool for example to encircle Brest with an unpassable
mountain ridge. Players would have to walk through some underground
dungeons to get to Brest, as it is a mid/high-level area.

Also useful would be some kind of invisible "monster blocker"
object that monsters cannot pass while players can.
Movers don't do the job because groups of monsters always
push each other across them.
Basically any means to keep monsters sticking to a place
would do. The main problem about it is to avoid monsters
being kind of "trapped" and too easily killed.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more

     http://www.gmx.net