[CF List] BIGworld

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 9 22:08:24 CDT 2002

Well I think MT has a point - I bet I could fire an arrow form Scorn to
Navar if there were no water or wasteland between.  That could get dangerous
(although I think it kills the server eventually).

     Simple blocking squares could help there in several ways.

     Having certain mountain- and forest tiles block movement would

     allow a better structured worldmap: You can't always go straight,

     there can be hidden places, restricted areas, monsters

     can't rush around freely...

     It might be cool for example to encircle Brest with an unpassable

     mountain ridge. Players would have to walk through some underground

     dungeons to get to Brest, as it is a mid/high-level area.

This is the obvious solution - but it isn't the most elegant way to handle
things since it really chops down on what you can do (if every area has to
be fenced in, there isn't much point to having very large tiled maps.)
That being said a lot of the mountains should be impassable and more rivers
would help here too.

     Also useful would be some kind of invisible "monster blocker"

     object that monsters cannot pass while players can.

     Movers don't do the job because groups of monsters always

     push each other across them.

     Basically any means to keep monsters sticking to a place

     would do. The main problem about it is to avoid monsters

     being kind of "trapped" and too easily killed.

I think this is the real macoy here.  In fact while we are talking about
blocking, maybe we could figure out a way to beef up pass/blocking in
general to accommodate some more sophisticated conditions (oh no he's gonna
talk about flying again) - Blocks flying, blocks walking (but not
flying...), blocks magic (stops spell effects from propagating), blocks
player, blocks monster, blocks <slaying>?