[CF-Devel] Automake patch available, please test it

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Sun Sep 1 12:14:33 CDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:40:19AM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

       However, even with that, the compile output is still very cluttered with

       the depfile/depmod stuff.

     You can turn dependency checking off by 'configue --disable-dependency-tracking'

       Real solution may be to just include our own .c.o directive which doesn't

       echo the command it is running (put a - in front of the directive) and

      instead just does something like an echo 'compiling XYZ' before that.

     This would be a-very-bad-thing. Automake tries hard to make compilation
as portable as generic as possible. With overiding .c.o directive we
will probably loss a lot of these. And probably automake would not allow
this anyway.

       In that case, I wouldn't really care how much stuff is passed via command

      line.  But as it is now, the output is so verbose that non critical errors

      will probably not get noticed.

     So the build process should be done in such way, that non-critical
errors may be mand critical. For C files -Werror flag should be enough.
And one is looking for errors when something goes wrong, and he will
probably use his editor to find errors in makefile log.
IMHO it is much easier to examine errors  with all these verbose lines
(including full command line), that without them

Greets,
        Jacek