[CF-Devel] new cut 1.4.0 and realestate idea

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Sep 17 00:29:31 CDT 2002

Todd Mitchell wrote:

  As a side note, the preferred content for e-mail is text only, not text/html
combinations.

      Well the new 1.4 cut installs well, everything worked except the python

      plugin (I still had to modify the plugin Makefile, remove the references

      to the 1.5 libs (since it correctly detected and used the 2.x Python.h

      to compile) and remake the plugin , but that is pretty painless anyway.)

  Yeah, looking at aclocal.m4 - the first block of code:

                for lib in python{,2.2,2.1,2.0} ; do
                         AC_CHECK_LIB($lib, PyArg_ParseTuple,[PYTHON_LIB="-l$lib"])
                         if test "x$PYTHON_LIB" != "x" ; then
                                 break
                         fi
                 done

  Doesn't work.  lib would just be like 2.2, 2.1, 2.0, which is not the actual
name of the file.  In addition, its not passing any load path information to the
client.

  Since there are some obvious dependencies, what should really happen is that
we look for the library in the same version as we found the header file.  I'll
look into cleaning this   - problem is that this is difficult for me to test.

      Three problems I can see so far -

      1. you have to wait for the map to reset before you can see or enter

      your new pad.

  Presuming here you mean the parent map (/city/city), this is a bit of a
problem - difficult to know when, if any, that map may reset.

      anyone have thoughts on this?  Am I missing anything vital?  Someone

      have a better plan?

  How is the map exit updated?  How is the ownership of these maps done?  I
thought some of the idea of these lots would be that only the owner could do
something, yet anyone could visit them - more like the common apartment building.

      I installed Sorcerer Linux a bit ago to try it out and noticed that

      Crossfire is one one of the install spells you can cast.  Unfortunatly

      it is 'cast crossfire' and it gets the whole ball game- arches,

      maps, client, server.  Think it would be better to make three install

      spells: client, server+maps, and the jED + arches.  Anyway, have to look

      into that later.

  Note that no one on the crossfire development team (that I know of at least)
is actually responsible for determining what OS's/kits crossfire gets bundled
with - rather, someone who works on that distribution decides to grab it.  So we
don't have a lot of control on that.