[CF-Devel] Madhatter? (Python plugin automake)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Sep 17 23:25:10 CDT 2002

Jacek Konieczny wrote:

      On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:31:40PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      This issue of checking the proper version of the header/library should now

      be fixed in CVS.  Hard for me to test this particular setup, so if you can

     confirm that it does now do the right thing, that would be great.

      It seems your solution is very broken. It assumes python library is

      sattic, and that has extension ".a". This will be wrong on many systems!

      You should never check for a library as a file.

      Your check will probably also break libtool plugin support (when it will

      be done in the libtool way), as libtool may need "*.la" version of

      library.

  Not sure what the ideal solution is.  I notice taht on redhat systems, the
python library is in /usr/lib/python../config (eg, the 'nonstandard location
check'), and that check only looks for static libs also.

  Ideally, I'd like to use the AC_CHECK_LIB function.  Unfortunately, after the
first check for python, configure caches the result, so even if you pass
different search options for the library check, it won't work.

  I'm not sure the correct approach.  I note that this check is still in place:

  AC_CHECK_LIB($python, PyArg_ParseTuple,[PYTHON_LIB="-l$python"])

  where python will be derived from the locatin of the include file.  However,
if the include file is in a standard place (/usr/include/), this won't work.

  I'm not sure the right approach - I can certainly put the old check in, but it
still leaves it only searching for static libs.

  The problem with this check:

                         PYTHON_LIB=`echo /usr/lib/python*/config/libpython*.a`

  Is that if you have multiple instances, it finds them all, which probably
isn't what you want.