[CF-Devel] new cut 1.4.0 and realestate idea

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 18 12:27:17 CDT 2002

        Why put this map in the player directory?  Is the plugins smart enough

     to see

      that if this player quits (and hense the playerdir is removed) that the

     deed is

      made available again?

        Various thoughts I have:

      1) Put the proper path for the exits in the parent map - just these maps

     don't

      exist until the deed is bought.  When the deed is bought, the script

     copies for

      the maps to the appropriate place that the exit points - in this way,

     don't need

      to do anything about updating the parent map.

     Ok, thinking on this I have a new plan.  Much less fiddling around less to
go wrong :)

1. create a map folder called lots
2. take the find and replace bits out of the realestate script and make it
into a utility for generating a map from a template (or you could use your
own favorite tool)
3. run a bunch of these off to make 20 or so homes for distribution
4. rework the script I wrote to generate the 'deed' using the lot number for
personalizing the map checkers and exits (and not the player name)
5. add in a price field into the lots file.
6. add in something to handle recycling of lots (perhaps to sell the deeds
as well if you wanted to trade up).

It would work like this:  Mapmakers (or admins) can put exits to the lots
directly on their maps, they can also add in new lots and either make a
custom map for the lot or generate one from one of the templates.  They
would also have to make an entry in the lots file for their new map(s).
The maps are only personalized in unique-items , flushing this would reset
the property back to it's original form.

This is a lot simpler, I also think there is a hook in the plugin for global
events (like quit?) which could be used to reset the map and to remove the
player ownership entry in the lots file.

Bonus-no worries about map refreshes, writing to maps directly or urban
sprawl- also custom maps at custom prices would be available and it would be
very simple to add new kinds of housing.  Also the lots would be visitable
to everyone to ogle and to dream about buying.  A sign placed on
Also is easier to code - in which case I am almost finished.

-only question should the deed be transferrable or not?