[CF-Devel] pluralism

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 24 08:54:27 CDT 2002

        However, I don't see this issue with my client.  What client are you

     using?

      It could be your client doesn't support the singular/plural names

     properly, and

      so it always displays the plural names.

     It very well could be the client since I noticed this in the DX client.

      > 1,Scorn,house,100000,vacant

        So what is the format of that?

      1: Lot number

      Scorn: Descriptive location of where the lot is?

      house: Type of lot?

      100000: cost?

      vacant: status (so a player name could also be here)

Yes , lot number is the primary key, location is reported back to narrow
down the search for a particular lot, house is the type of arch that is on
the lot (could be a hut, a house a keep a castle a cave, whatever arch is
physically on the map), the price I added in to make it easy to include
custom maps and the vacant is replace with a player name when the lot is
purchased.

If you wanted to have a cave on lot 34 you come up with a map in
/Lots/Lot34/cave1, cave 2; make an appropriate linking exit on the world
map; and put the following info into the Lots file: 34,outside
Scorn,cave,30000,vacant

         I don't see too much issue of the deed being visible - we already have

     lots

      of current visible tokens (library cards, gate passes, port passes, etc).

     Maybe

      someone should make a 'wallet' container.

        In some sense, the deed can arguably not be important - one could argue

     that

      realistically, the player should be able to give out keys to his house,

     and the

      deed really isn't that important.

I didn't want to have the 'deed' (now a key arch so I can use the SetSlaying
easier) transferable since it would be a pain if the lot was sold to collect
all the keys.  I was thinking one key in inventory, non transferable, and
this is removed when the lot is sold.  There is a global hook to quit which
will also be used to search the lots file and reset any entries to the
quiting player and to delete the related maps in unique-items - which would
get messy if there were other keys out there.  The way I am placing the
inventory checkers on the map make it easy to allow others to enter certain
areas if the owner is standing by the door, and I am thinking of putting in
doorbells.

        In terms of the subfolders - are the different lot's somehow different?

     Or

      are they mostly done that way so that the exits are up to date?

The lots are different but I imagine that like the guilds there will be some
basic templates used for many of them.  If anyone wanted to make a few fancy
houses it would just require an update to the lots file and adding an exit
to an existing map to connect it.  It would be nice to be able to change the
name of the exit (still trying to figure out how th do that) so that you can
see LOT 34 on an exit and then when it is bought you would see Bob's cave
(and when sold again it would revert to LOT 34 again).  But I suppose this
could be done using activate hook on some sign on the lot itself  (but it
would be cooler to do it on the object name on the parent map).

        One thought might be to limit home ownership - since you record what

     players

      own what lots, perhaps put a limit of no more than X houses - in this way,

      rich/powerful players couldn't buy up everything.  This also means that if

     they

      decide to upgrade to a better residence, they need to sell some of their

     old

      residences.

It wouldn't be hard to do this by putting in an inventory check to count the
player's 'deed-keys' when buying a house.  This would make it a kinder world
than our own I guess.