[CF-Devel] Fw: Diamonds

Fri Apr 18 03:55:59 CDT 2003

A lot of people have complained about the new material code
since it has been put in place. That is something we
shouldn't ignore.

My opinion is that the idea is good - which I think most
all agree with - but the implementation is not so good.

As I understand it, Tim's main point in this thread was
that the full item-creation should be enabled.
This would create a better use for materials, but I'm
not convinced that it would fix any of the problems.

In fact, I'm not too euphoric about the whole material-
to-item-creation thing. This is just going to indroduce
yet another balancing nightmare, and I don't see why
it would be significally more fun than the alchemy skills
we currently have.
All games where full item-creation really works (like
ultima online) have a relyable economy system and
a fully balanced set of materials and items.
In crossfire such a system is going to fail, because
we have neither of that.

Past discussions have shown that several people are
actually against full item-creation because they are
not excited about spending their time with
activities like wood-chopping or mining.

So, all that being said, I agree with Mark's point of view:
It would be better to integrate materials in the
artifacts file, and let it focus more on creating
special items rather than adding random materials
to everything.
On the other hand, if this is something Tim cannot agree
with, I would also consider to let Tim work on fixing/improving
the adressed problems in "his" version of the material
code if he wants to.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more