[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Sun Apr 20 18:48:40 CDT 2003

       Or do you just mean convert the material file to archetypes (which

      wouldn't be hard), and have a special material type to denote this

      (sort of like skills are now).  Thus, instead of having yet another

      file format, you could just have a 'materials' directory in the arch

      to customize/add new materials.

That was my thought, yes.  Skills as archs, spell arches, ability
arches, treasure lists arches (kind of like the random map styles are
now...),  material arches....

       The wood/non metal materials do pose some issues.  OTOH, it also

      depends on how the creation is working - if magic is involved, not too

      hard to believe that you could turn 20 arrows into a spear or

      whatever.  However, if your just working at a workbench, that isn't

      feasible - in that case, you'd have to determine if the donor item

      exceeds the material requirements for a new item (eg, a spear could be

      turned into some number of arrows, but not vice versa). But to do

      this, you'd need some tag in the material that says this is a material

      that can be reconstituted or not.

This is where I was imagining inheritance played a part.  General class
characteristics inherited by the specific materials so you don't need to
configure every little setting (but you could...).  Note imagine is the
operative word since this was speculation on my part.

       Problem more with this is balance.  If you have a x-> gold

      translation, how do you do it?  If the item weighs 9 kg, you get a 9

      kg gold item (ignoring density)?  Or more properly, would that 9 kg

      turn into 15 kg or whatever the weight adjustement for gold is?

       The problem here is then in a full material system, player turns that

      non magical plate armor to gold - 100 kg of gold now.  With his skill,

      he then turns it into gold ingots (or coins) and gets a lot more money

      for that item than it is normally worth.  Talk about messed up economics.

Ya, but you could also have monsters turning gold to lead or steel into
tin.  I knew steel to gold would be a provocative example, but it would
work both ways.  Plus you can make these things prohibitive - iron to
gold abilities would be a heck of a lot less common than the steel to
tin abilities.  Remember the disenchanter beast?  How about a little
fellow that turns sangunite to lead?
I know you can do this otherways but, it nice when it's as simple as
twigging the material.

       One could certainly do something like that - to follow AD&D, warp

      wood - checks inventory of target, and warps some number of wood

      objects, making them unusuable.  However, for this to really work, you

      then need to have some method of saying these are warped.  Things like

      heat/cool metal are a lot trickier to track.

Not really you don't have to actually have heat or cold, just assign an
amount of damage per measure of iron.  Now you want to wear that plate
armour when fighting fire elementals Pepe?

      I don't get the artifact thing I think -  that is how I though that

      Tim had implemented the materials (with lists of what items could be

      generated out of which materials) and I didn't particularily like the

      idea and thought it very unmanagable and somewhat backwards.  That is

      primarily why I objected in the first place.  If I add a Widgit arch,

      I would have to add it to the artifacts file.  If I remove the

      Widgit, I have to remember to update the file.

       There is no harm listing artifact combinations in the file that can't

      possibly exist.

       And if you don't, all that really happens is that your object won't

      appear with these new special abilities/materials.  Your item will

      still continue to work.

no but it does get messy over time and you need to get into the server
files to make maps.

      You can even have a mix where there are types of materials and then

      other lists  used to apply materials (like the treasures prehaps).

       To be, that is completely the point of the artifacts file - a way to

      modify objects without needing to make new arches.

       In addition, usage of artifact files allows for more sensible

      material bonuses.

       For example, I can see that a yew bow might be suprerior, and hence

      why it has a damage bonus.  But why would a yew club be any better?

      Given the current code, there is no way to seperate that (yew has

      bonuses which apply to whatever object type it gets applied to).

That's interesting, material bonuses should be applicable for what ever
object they constitute.  I didn't think of an example like this.
Either this type of bonus has to be taken out of the material code so it
works universally or pseudo-logic can be applied to say that Yew is
lighter but harder thus more the club weilder is more nimble, thus more
damage (since damage can be seen as factoring in chance to hit as well
as actual injury).

       However, with artifact code, I could do something like:

      Allow bow,crossbow

      materialname yew

      dam 2

      value ...

      and so on

       And only have yew show up in bows and crossbows.  If I want it to

      show up in clubs, I could make an appropriate entry, but not give it a

      'dam 2' value.  But given the current implementation, there is no way

      to do that, and I consider that wrong.

But if the artifact file randomly changes the items randomly after the
map has been created (when somone enters it presumably) then you have no
control over specific implementation.  In this case if you wanted a ruby
club particularly how would you do it without creating a new arch?
Of course you could claw back some of those sort of bonuses from
material type while leaving basic modifiers such as value, weight and
saving throws.
Really I haven't got an answer for this - there seems to be a
particle/wave thing going on here.

      I would say thet there isn't a need for the special key words[...]

       I disagree a bit here.

       I think the general material terms should be the general material.

      EG, materialname stone could be valid if you want the item made of

      general non descript stone (ie, basically, always that general stone,

      and not a specific type of stone).  There should be some way to say

      that is always the case.  If you want a random material, I'd much

      rather that be noted in the name.  You mention about difficulty of

      knowing what to do.  IMO, it is much clearer from a design standpoint

      that if you see 'materialname random_stone', that you know it would

      choose a random stone type, comared to if you just say 'materialname

      stone'.

       Also, having a general name that may be valid that also matches and

      end product is a really bad idea.  If you load a map and see

      'materialname stone', how do you then know if that has already been

      processed, or if it will be randomized that next time by?

       Also, I see no disadvantage to having those special keywords - the

      only real disadvantage might be the extra 8 characters to type in the

      materialname.

     See I would tend to never actually have a general material used in an
object. This is why I suggested changing iron to metal and such.  The
material would always be specific.  You could have an item with no
material, but never an item of 'wood' (it would always resolve to be a
type of wood) for example.

      The idea of having a colour and changing the image based on this

      colour comes form some old discussion of how this is done in other

      games.  [...]

      That's why it was more a wishlist thing.

       this is a non trivial change.  it is much eaiser to just have

      different images for the different colors.

     Ya, it would be a lot of work for sure making a standard 8 bit palette
and redoing most of the arches to use it - I didn't imagine I would live
to see it.  Then again if we implement a standard 8 bit pallete now for
new graphics, some day our grandkids will thank us for it.

      Items with Multiple Materials-

      well items with multiple materials.  how about allowing an item to

      have multiple items in equal proportions.  So an item like a normal

      axe is say wood, metal (50-50) a stone axe wood, stone (50-50) a more

      complex item might be metal, wood, stone (33-33-33).  If the

      materials are not of equal proportion (by weight I suppose) then they

      aren't factored in is all.  Toughness would be the same as it works

      now (how does it work now with the saving throws?) with bitmask items

      or perhaps when you fireball or otherwise deconstruct that ruby axe

      you burn away the 50% weight (the wood) and get a ruby.

       That works - presume if the material has multiple types, they are

      equal by weight.

       You could list multiple types even if not 100% equal, but close

      enough (eg, a 60/40 real life, you might still list it as two

      materials which would be 50/50, as its a close approximation).

       As for saves, probably be fairest way is to look at the material

      which has the worst saving throw for that object.  Eg, if you have an

      iron/wood saving against fire, you'd use that wood saving throw.

      However, if you have that same object against acid, you'd use the iron.

       I'd try not to get too tricky on what happens when an object fails

      saves. That is another can of worms.

Ya lowest.  The other can of worms would be related to item
deconstruction of which I know only rumours...  Wood ash is a prime
ingrediant in some recipies, there are examples of other items which
have partially survives massive trauma (

      Well I don't want walls or buildings or other such landscape features

      to have material in general, nor forests or mountains or swamps (I

      can see having special tree or mountain arches that would, like a

      mine arch, also there is code already for random plant placement so

      mineral placement is simply a few lines to this.)   This is along the

      lines of secret passages - Players shouldn't be expected to try every

      terrain square to see if it breaks burns or gives milk.

      Monsters or other living things should not have material types.

       to an extent, I agree.  However, if you allow random harvesting of

      materials, how do you do that?  I should be able to go into a forest

      and chop down a tree and get wood, but what wood would I get?

     Well this tree arch in question would have had a materialname set when
it was placed (by man or machine).   If it was set to 'wood', you would
get a random wood, if it was  set to 'oak' - you would get oak.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com