[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Wed Apr 23 01:10:35 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 22-Apr-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

     ts file.

      Ahh.. but that wasn't really my point.  A mapmaker creating a specific object

      shouldn't have to think about that sort of thing.  He shouldn't have to

      consider that when he sets a sword to damage 10, and mithril, it might end up

      being dam 12.  He *meant* for the sword to be damage 10, and he *meant* for it

      to be made of mithril.  Therefore, in his creation, he has allready taken into

      account the effect of the mithril.

  But what I'm saying (and what I think Todd has said) is that a map maker may
take a normal sword, assign it material type mithril, and expect that it will be
'improved' as mithril would do so.  That mapmaker probably isn't expecting he
needs to adjust value and other bits.

  More likely, he's found a random mithril sword while playing, and said 'that's
cool - I'll put one on my leader giant', and not expect that that doesn't work
as expected.

  This is actually a tricky issue.  On the one hand, you should presume that the
mapmaker knows what he is doing.  OTOH, that may be an overly generous
presumption on what the map makers skills are, or what the map maker expects.

  The ideal situation of course would be for the editor itself to make the
adjustment - this lets the player see exactly what a mithril item does.  But at
some level, the question comes in how smart should the editor be (the 'smarter'
it is, the more likely that a change in the server could result in the editor
doing improper things).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com