[CF-Devel] more skill/spell musings

Wed Apr 23 20:31:19 CDT 2003

       Note one thought I had is that given the split in skills, we can perhaps

       give exp for successful use of spells which we didn't before.  Eg, if you

      paralyze a creature, you'd get some exp for that for example.  Sure, this

      could be open to some abuses, but there are already otehr abuses out there

      (maps you go in and fire 20 fireballs or whatever).

Would not a better solution be, if you kill a monster while it was paralyzed
you get exp to the skill for kill, and same amount of exp to the skill for
paralyze?

      summoner - matches the class.  This gets the summon spells, as well as most

      of the item creation spells (build xxx wall, create ..)  Given directors

      are a very popular tactic, this category could be useful just for that.

      evoker - covers a wide range of damage spells.  Since this is most useful,

      it gets split with:

Pyromancer?

      pyromaniac: Gets fire/lightning spells, as well as bomb.  That leaves

      evoker with cold/acid/poison/bullet.  Evoker could also get some of the

      pyro spells perhaps.

      discover: The alchemist class falls into this. Gets alchemy spell.  Gets

      spells that let them find information out (identify).  Gets spells that

      help survival, so that it can learn (study) things, eg, some number of

      protection spells.  Also toss in things that perhaps change behaviour

      (slow, haste, paralyze).  Toss in spells to help get away (dimension door).

      In a sense, this sort of gets the leftover that dont' fall into the ones

      above.

I thought evokers were mainly direct damage? Or are evokers a seperate
class and unrelated to the things below it?

       As a note, the idea is that most of the spells would belong to only one

      school.  However, some spells could certainly belong to more than one

      school. For example, detect magic is probably a fundamental ability that

      everyone should know.  The pyromaniac should probably get pro

      fire/electricity so they don't kill themselves, but the discover might also

      have those.

Just have a "shared skills" group.

       Note one of my thoughts would be that we perhaps limit characters to

       knowing only 3 of the 4 schools above - thus, higher lever characters are

      likely to look a bit more different and/or players have to make some actual

      decisions.

The diablo II system would work wonders in regards to this. (level
dependant and skill dependant, you need to fulfill the requirements of
level and of having the 3 (or more or less) skills below it before you can learn the skill.)

       The unresolved issues on this:

      1) For spells that belong to more than one school, what school/skill is

      used to cast it.  My thoughts would be 1) school you are best in, 2) have

      all spells be unique, so detect magic for discovers would have a different

      name than the evoker uses, 3) Player can specify a search order to use (eg,

      spell_search evoker pyro summoner) 4) use currently active skill, then a

      fallback of either 1 or 3

I don't like the sound of a a different name for the same spell, a small
difference can justify a different name but having many different names
for one skill is just going to be confusing.

I'm abit unsure as to what various classes do to get skills from other
classes? Currently I would imagine the game would be nigh on impossible
without being able to use both ICE spells and FIRE spells.

dnh

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com