[CF-Devel] Adding New Stuff (again) - Requests and suggestions

Sat Apr 26 03:26:58 CDT 2003

Flying Pedestrian wrote:

      Well, again, that's why I think it'd be nice to have more of the configuration

      (particularly, e.g. names of spells and HtH attacks, order of preference

      of HtH attacks, 'definitions' of extensions of standard spells, etc., which

      currently are "hard-coded" into the source...)

  Well, that is coming - more of that stuff is moving to archs.

  However, some bits won't change.  Eg, while it may be nice for the search
order of the hth attacks to be setable, that seems sort of pointless to me.  The
player should select the appropriate one.  This sort of falls back to request of
'I want to be able to set what food I eat when my food reaches 0'.  the code to
do that for such a minor convenience makes it a very low priority.

      I think people'd be more likely to try out new things if it just required

      adding a bit to a couple of files instead of going through the whole patch,

      recompile, reinstall routine.

  Maybe.  It wouldn't hurt - but there has been a lot of customizable stuff
there already, and a lot of it doesn't seem to get played with.

      Is it also easy to add graphics to the crossfire.0/crossfire.1 files "on the

      fly" as well?  Also, is it possible to skip adding a new spell name to

      the headers and instead just add it to the spell_params file?  (I imagine

      not, from what I remember of the code...I think it'd be ideal to be

      able to add a spell for testing with just an addition to spell_params, an

      entry in the archetypes file, and new graphics...)

  In terms of the image stuff, there is no way to do that right now.  The
trickier bit here is that images are assigned numbers - I'm pretty sure those
numbers have to be contigous.  I'm not sure if they have to be in alphabetical order

  However, at the same time, to rebuild that data is really easy.  I can't see
that as being much a point to server admins - if they are willing to patch a
bunch of files for some change, I can't see it being much a stretch that they
couldn't have an arch distribution and do a 'make collect'.

      Basically, any spell (for example) that doesn't require new BEHAVIOR (just

      different attack types, settings for range, duration, radius, list of possible

      creatures summoned, etc.) seemed like it ought to be moved out to the

      arch's and spell_params files instead of hard-coded as they are now.

  See the discussion a few weeks back about spell objects.  It didn't addressed
summon creatures, but that is probably something that could be included.

  Note that right now, I think some of the summoning stuff looks at the races to
determine what to summon, so for some, just modifying the races file might be
enough.

      Similarly, this would affect e.g. pets (as summoning spells improve in

      variety, this may become and issue - although again it's more for "color".

      ["Your air para-elemental jolts zombie.  Your air para-elemental zaps

      zombie..."...] it would make sense that a character with a pet wolf or

      giant purple vampire frog would see "biting" type messages...or for that

      matter a character who gets polymorphed into something else, or when someone

      starts adding Were(whatever) races to the game, might end up

      seeing that for his own attacks.)

  Well, for monsters, as said, it doesn't come from attacks.  It comes from
attack messages.  I'd think the code is there to just make up some more messages
and assign the appropriate attack message type to the monster arch.

      On the other hand - Karate, for example, doesn't do as much damage as many

      melee weapons, but it has a higher "fire" rate.  "Biting" would be slower

      than "Clawing" but have a substantially (though still reasonable) higher base

      damage.  Properly constructed, the tradeoffs make for a bit of potential

      strategy  (Karate is actually pretty handy when you're being mobbed by

      large numbers of fast but relatively weak creatures), and another bit of

      potential "uniqueness" for characters, without danger of serious imbalance

      being added or having the high "barrier to entry" of needing to understand the

      crossfire source well enough to code a complex new set of behaviors into the

      game.

  Thats true - if you are fighting a whole bunch of wimpy creatures, faster
attacks for less damage would be of some advantage.

  But otherwise, it is simple math to say 'attacktime * damage = attackfactor'.
  Eg, if you have something that has an attacktime of 1.0 but does 20 damage,
and something that has an attacktime of 2.0 but does 5 damage, still pretty
clear that the slower attack that does more damage is better.  Unless you are
fighting mobs of monsters with low hit points.

  But I still wonder how many different unarmed attack types you can come up
with which are really that different.  When do we add kicking and so on?

  Thus may not seem like a big deal, but right now there are 30+ skills out
there.  Imagine if it got to the point there was 100.  It'd be like the northman
now - it wouldn't so much to get rid of it because it was bad, but more because
it is redundant.

      Actually, I'm glad for that - one "style" of attack at a time is plenty.  For

      HtH attacks, specifically, the only real purpose would be do add a bit more

      color and strategy, and add another potential "uniqueness" to a character

      without having to add anything really bizarre or complex.

  fair enough.  But as said, one has to be careful with uniqueness.  Otherwise
people may just be like 'oh biting.  Its basically the same as biting with a
different name'.  At some level this gets annoying because of your keyboard
bindings and what not.

      The SKILL being rolled into one actually doesn't seem unreasonable to me,

      though you then still have to deal with the messages (or just change them all

      to "hit", which is boring...)

  unarmed combat could have a mixture of messages.  kicks, claws, bites, knees,
etc.  It could actually be a little more colorful because you'd get higher variety.

      Of course, while we're at it, someone could do something about all that silly

      redundancy of having daggers, shortswords, longswords, broadswords, sabers,

      scimitars, cutlasses, falchions, katanas, and rapiers. After all, they're all

      basically just "big knives"...

      (kidding, obviously...I LIKE the "color" and minor differences that having

      all of those adds to the game...I think the same can apply to a certain

      extent to different "unarmed" attacks as well, though probably not THAT many.)

  The other difference is that dealing with a bunch of objects is a bit easier
than dealing with a bunch of skills. Thats basically just how the game is - this
is perhaps largely an interfact issue and may get improved upon (with the change
in skill system, each skill will have its own exp bucket, which then means this
gets communicated to the client.  If the client displays it, might not be
unreasonable to switch to that skill if the player clicks on it).

  Perhaps the bigger issue with skills is that there are some proposals to make
learning skills difficult or limiting the number of skills one can learn.  In
some of these cases, the more marginal skills lose out (if karate and boxing are
pretty much the same, why'd you bother to learn both for example, especially if
it might cost you to learn something more useful like jeweler (still not one of
hte major skills, but still something you might use a bit and not redundant with
one of your existing skills)

      On the other hand, having them separate gives some potential to later add

      items to the game that enhance a particular attack type ("boots of kicking",

      "brass knuckles", "Amulet of the Weapons Master" (boosts Melee Weapons

      attacks), "MithrilWhite(tm) Toothpaste" (bite-enhancing "potion"), etc...),

      though what little I understand of the existing code makes me think

      new code would have to be added to be able to modify the effects (damage, wc,

      etc.) of only one type of attack skill at a time...

  It is somewhat an issue of fluff vs actual usefulness.  I can certainly see
possibilty to add all sorts of stuff (spiked kneepads, etc).

  With the new skill system, this may be more possible - it should be possible
to have different skills (by name) that do the same functions.  So thus, bite,
claw, head butt, kicking, etc, could all go into an 'unarmed' skill subtype.

      "Sufficiently different" is the part that I understand the least - not that

      I don't know why there needs to be differences, but that I'm not quite certain

      what constitutes something that would be considered a worthy "difference".

  It depends on what you are doing.

  In the case of players, I'd say difference means different in play (eg, human
northman issue again - if the only thing different is face and maybe a stat by 1
point of something, that isn't all that different in play).

  For monsters, this is much more open - IMO, there is a lot of room to add more
monsters, because in that case, difference can just be in race.  And these can
be used as ways for the priests of certain religions to gain exp.

  I'd say some of it depends on thought process.  If you come up with a new
monster/class/spell/skill, ask yourself, what does this add to the game?  Why
are you adding it?

      Does it mean that to be "different" there must be a new set of functions in

      the source code to handle it?...(Is it, for example, "just another bolt spell"

      regardless of other novelty unless it has its own new function?  Personally, I

      think there's a lot of untapped "uniqueness" potential sitting in the existing

      "damage spells" and, perhaps, summoning spells code, waiting for only novel

      spell names, graphics, and arches to bring it out...)

  Certainly not - I think a lot more can be done without code changes.  However,
at some level, an 'extra large fireball' isn't all that different than what
exists now.  However, something like 'balls of fire' (like ball lightning) could
be different enough.

  The problem is the question is difficult enough to answer that I can't just
provide a 'these are a set of rules, and if you follow them, things will be OK'.
  My personal thought is that best to drop a mail to the list asking about the
conceptual bases.  Eg, I have an idea for a new spells that does a, b, c.  The
enumeration of a, b, c doesnt' have to be in specific at this point, eg, for a
new class, you might say 'it would have a bonus to strength, penalty to con, ..'
and you wouldn't have to come up with all those details at that point.

  The other tricky part of this is that adding such things can reduce the
uniqueness of others.  If you fall by balls of fire example, that sort of
reducesthe uniqueness that ball lightning currently has.  Maybe that is OK,
maybe not.

      Well, I was thinking in terms of what specifically is needed to make a

      (whatever) "complete".  It's obvious in a lot of cases, but might be helpful

      to have noted down explicitly somewhere, e.g. for a new race:

      Either 4 or 8 "facing" graphics (with rare exceptions, e.g. fireborn)

      arch for the new race

      treasure entry for new race

  Unfortunately, I don't think all that info has been recorded.

  However, one can certainly ask 'if I added a new spell, what would have to be
done'.  and an answer detailing the steps may be forthcoming. But since it may
be from peopel's memory, who knows how accurate.

      Anyway, just thinking about trying to offer new things for the game again,

      particularly the spells, skills, races, and monsters at the top

      of the poll results...

  Well, as said above, the first step would be a conceptual level (a spell that
does X, a class like Z, etc) - post those out and see what people think.  If the
idea is generally positive, then starting working out details, eg, bonus,
damage, starting equipment, etc.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com