[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Sat Apr 26 11:03:26 CDT 2003

On 26-Apr-03 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      a) Dump "value" fields in the arches, and auto-calculate

         the item value in the server by summing up bonuses

         like resistances/damage etc.

         Item value is then material value + sum of bonuses.

I've considered this on occasion.  My thought was to assign a value per kg for
various materials.  Say gold, which we allready know has a value:weight ratio
of 1:1 (from the coin).  You start there and add or subtract based on
craftsmanship, bonuses, etc.

Interestingly however..  gold nuggets don't share this same ratio.  Large
nuggets are 100:180, small are 10:20.

Perhaps this means that the value multiplier for a gold item is just too small,
and should be increased.. But that too has an effect, namely when you sell a
gold plate mail.

However..  I know that the concept of taking a gold platemail and breaking it
down into raw gold, that may have a value of say 100 times that of the
platemail is intimidating to people, but I think you are missing a matter of
scale here.

Lets say I go to the titan's quest, and I clear out one of the lower levels,
and get bored.  In my boredom, I decide to pile everything I find up, and cast
alchemy, turning it into nuggets.  Generally, if I do this, I can get about
5000 large nuggets (sometimes many many more) by doing the first few levels.
It doesn't even take very long.  Heck.. I can just summon lots of vampires and
issue killpets if I really am bored.  Compared to this, deconstructing the
occasional gold platemail is pretty tame.

I'm saying.. the economy is such a joke.. that even if we charged nothing for
deconstruction, and performed it at a 1:1 weight ratio, it would still have
zero impact on the raw currency flow.  The currency flow is so rediculous that
it doesn't even show up on the radar.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net