[CF-Devel] Adding New Stuff (again) - Requests and suggestions

Sat Apr 26 17:31:00 CDT 2003

Flying Pedestrian wrote:

      On Saturday 26 April 2003 02:26 am, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Okay - that's not much more complex than "cat newtreasures >> treasures" so

      that takes care of my concern there, too, since it doesn't actually require

      a complete recompile.

  Even a recompile isn't that big a deal. The big deal with source code changes
is it is much more likely to not patch correctly or whatnot - you are requiring
that the server have roughly the same version as you patched against.  That is
not always true.

      Two additional minor suggestions there - support for a "resistance" allowing

      a character to be healed by a damagetype (only if the >100% resistance comes

      from ONE object) - e.g. Fireborns might have a 105% resistance to fire, thus

      being healed at a rate of 1/20th of the damage that would have been done by

      fire (might be possible to extend this to allow characters/monsters to

      recharge mana/grace from particular types of attacks as well.)

  resistance above 100 isn't really supported.  Its a nice idea, but I also
wonder about balance issue (fireborn now less dependent on a cleric for example
- he fireballs himeself - not only does he kill the monsters around him, but he
gets healed).

      If I wanted to play with a calculator instead of playing the game I'd be

      playing on a MUD or something :-)

  But at some level, everyone still does comparision (this armor gives me more
protection, but I move slower, etc).  And for most, one can compare weapons
pretty easily and figure out what is best.

  I'd note that under the new skill system I am working on, this will likely be
more an issue - each skill has its own level - no more categories.  So if you
started with punching, and got to level 5 in it, and then learned karate, most
likely that punching is going to be a lot better than that karate because of the
extra levels you have.  So it is more likely you'd stick with what you learned
first.  Now if 1st level karate is better than 5th level punching, that has soem
other issues.

      This is true, and actually I could see re-simplifying and reorganizing unarmed

      combat into a smaller subset - "humanoid unarmed" (punching, wrestling,

      karate) and "animal unarmed" (biting and clawing and trampling).  Point both

      the skills and abilities at the same two attackmessages tables and you're

      done...cuts down the redundant message tables and "non-weapon attacks" while

      keeping a rational division between the types.  Rough difference would be

      humanoid combat = faster but lower damage, animal combat=slower but higher

      damage ("base" values).

  Probably the only people that really use the unarmed attacks at all are those
with no choice (weapon prohibition).

       I'd say some of it depends on thought process.  If you come up with a new

     monster/class/spell/skill, ask yourself, what does this add to the game?

     Why are you adding it?

      THIS I completely understand and agree with.  I'm more wondering, for example,

      where the line for "many smaller differences" or "a few larger differences"

      crosses the point where someone else might find it worth trying out...

  I can't really answer that point.  I know when peterm added beholder to his
server (as a race) it was fairly popular.  I'd think that most new features will
at least get tried out, because the players are curious.  However, it is
certainly possible that they try out a new feature, say 'this sucks', and then
never use it again.  OTOH, one has to be careful - if each new feature is better
than what is there before, you get power migration.

      I tend to want to design new things as ideas strike me and on those occasions

      where I have a small amount of spare time to work on them...rather than

      having an idea and waiting for an email committee to re-design it for me (and

      then waiting for the NEXT batch of spare time to arise) before I actually try

      to implement it :-) so it would be helpful to be able to at least make a

      reasonable guess as to whether or not a new race/item/spell/whatever is

      "different enough" before spending much time on it (either in implementation

      or waiting on the aforementioned email committee...)

  I can understand that - people want to do whatever now, and not wait.  My
solution to that is to post out my ideas long before I'm likely to have time to
work on them.

  But that said, I don't think the information is out there right now to really
say 'that would be a good feature' or 'that would be a bad feature' based simply
on stat/damage/whatever.

  The other thought is to try to talk to people on irc - that at least might
give some immediate feedback if people think it is a reasonable idea or not.

      (I actually think there are more than enough classes already, so that's

      not specifically an issue.  Races and spells (and cults and quests which

      can be built with and around them...if/when I finally get time to figure out

      map-making) are where I'm thinking at the moment.

  IMO, more maps would probably be one of the higher priority items.  There
isn't a lot missing in terms of 'wouldn't it be nice if this skill/spell/race'
existed.  And likewise, there are tons of items. OTOH, if you have a new idea
like 'heres a neat new skill', that'd be cool.  Just because I can't envision
them doesn't mean there aren't things to be done there.  Its just that I don't
see anything that is really lacking.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com