[CF-Devel] More random skill musings.

Mon Apr 28 01:40:03 CDT 2003

  A few weeks back, I posted my notes file about the new skill system I'm
working on (and I'm actually really working on it now).

  As I've done work, there are some more refinements to be said:

6. Other Objects
----------------

Many other objects will use the 'skill' field in their object to denote
what skill is needed to use this object.  Thus, for examples, readable
objects have 'skill literacy' to denote that the literacy skill is
needed to read them.  Weapons have 'skill' values to denote what
skill is needed to use the weapon.  Same for spells.

  Ås I go and update the archs, some things perhaps strike me as odd - should
perhaps the ability to learn a new spell be based more on the skill you use it
on and not literacy (eg, cleric using their praying ability?)  This may reduce
the usefulness of literacy, but could make more sense.

  But related to that change above (skill in archetypes of skill to use) - this
does allow the potential of skills to wear armor. Eg, heavy armor skill, medium
armor skill, etc.  I'm not saying this should necessary be done, but is an
example of what could be done with the new skill system - you could really
expand the number of proficiencies available.

  Another question - currently, whenever you use a skill, it changes your range
to that skill even if the use may be temporary.  For example, if you read a
book, it will make literacy your active skill, and update your range.  The side
effect of this code is that a message like 'you switch to skill literacy' is
also printed out.

  In the new code, this is no longer necessary - we don't rely on what the
players chosen_skill is to figure out where to put exp.  Thus, if you read a
book, none of your range stuff changes, and no message about now using the skill
literacy is generated.

  In some sense, I think this is probably better.  As one does things, one never
thinks about 'readying' skills, one just does it, and the new way follows that.
  Players can skill explicity ready skills, and that will change the range and
what not - just indirect use will not.

  I thought I'd post this out here and see what peoples thought on this
behaviour is.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com