[CF-Devel] More Lore

Tue Apr 29 02:19:07 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Ok, more thoughts on lore:

      For generic lore in the arches I believe it is established that it is

      sufficient to populate the lore <> endlore field with weighted values, e.g.

      arch orc

      <..>

      lore

      @5 Orcs are the foul brethern to goblins.

      @4 Dwarves and Orcs have a strong hatred of one another.

      endlore

  The @5 (or whatever) must be on its own line, followed by various lines of
lore, and then perhaps another @whatever, etc.

  Reason for this:
1) it means you can have long lore descriptions without needing to have several
hundred character long lines.

2) The meaning of the @ can get expanded more easily in the future, eg, @5 could
become '@5 santo_dominion 3', or whatever else.  If the lore it describes is on
the same line, it makes expansion more difficult, and parsing also more difficult.

      Whereby the object name, level and other information could be grabbed

      from the arch if necessary too.

  I don't get that point.  Are you talking about embedding control sequences in
the lore for this information? I otherwise don't see what that info would be
used for.

  In any case, all the information the lore needs should be in the lore area.
Don't presume that grabbing information from the arch will be easy or even
possible in the code.  And I'd add that don't presume that the information in
the arch is at all meaningful - for many monsters, the level of the monster may
not be especially meaningful.

      If you customize a creature you need to

      grab this out of the maps however, e.g. if you make a special dragon,

      you can put in special lore, it is stored on the map.  This has to be

      picked up during the map lore collection however.  This would capture

      the arch name and name if the object had one (have to remember to check

      for no name...) but I don't know how stuff like level and such can be

      easily snagged with a script if it has not been changed (look up the

      arch?- yuck)

  I note you are going beyond how you had originally described the lore stuff.
The original idea of lore was to more easily connect information about arches
with the arch itself.  You're now talking about expanding this more and more
beyond the original idea.

  And as said above, I fail to see why you need to care about level or object
name information.  If relevant, it should be included in the lore information
itself.

      For map and quest type information this is not going to work, some maps

      have nothing of interest, and some like the city maps have many

      many points of interest.  If you were to go with a header file, you

      would need to account for different topics.  Also this information can

      be more tricky to manage since it is more specific.  This is why I think

      a specific maplore arch object would be good in addition to the lore

      field.

I disagree on that point - if all the information is in the 'lore' field, as it
should be, there is no reason you need multiple objects.  And I still have the
concern that if you have a bunch of objects with lore on a map, that it will be
very difficult to manage this information (need to figure what objects have
lore, where they are on the map, and so on).

      The only thing is that both types of lore should follow the same data

      format, style guidelines (including truth and falsehood, weighting and

      level and key word information) and be accessable through the same 'lore

      engine', although not perhaps in the same way...

And I think the @ with sufficient fields is more than sufficient to do that, eg:

@ <level> <region> <true/false> <key word> <what ever else>

  I'm concerned about the keyword stuff however.  I'm presuming that this is
supposed to mean that if I say 'orc' to an NPC, if it has any lore that has that
as a keyword, it would respond.

  But this seems very random - that npc now needs to provide some clue as to
what it knows about - if it is just a matter of randomly guessing what the npc
knows about, that is completely useless.

  And at that level, why not just design proper NPC's with bits of information.
  No matter what you do, properly designed NPC's will still be better than
random lore.

  I will also note that in the original discussion of lore that the idea was for
it to show up in things like books or other static sources, and not dynamic
things like NPC's.

  Having lore show up in NPC's also requires the need to have some flag to say
'generate random messages from lore for this NPC'.  You don't want to do this by
default - first because it won't work well, but second, because you really don't
want to this for every monster that could be generated - a fairly costly
operation to do for something that is likely to be killed.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com