[CF-Devel] Re: Repeated line supression for the gtk client.

Fri Aug 1 01:50:28 CDT 2003

Sebastian Andersson wrote:

      On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:02:37PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      I've never liked the way the server does message collapsing right works

      now, from a playing point of view.

      First of all "1 times You pray". The "1 times" should be removed,

      probably an easy fix, it looks really ugly. Then the annoying time

      delay until you see the first message makes one think the server is

      lagging, the key binding doesn't work or something. It can of course

      be made smaller by changing the default value, but then it collapses

      fewer messages. A better fix would be to send the first collapsable

      message immediatly, then start to collapse it.

  well, the 'times' thing could certainly be removed.

  It also wouldn't be hard for it to send one message initially and then have it
start collapsing them.

      Thirdly, it doesn't work when you mix two messages, does it?  Like:

      "1 times The ball of lightning zaps dragon"

      "1 times The ball of lightning electrocutes dragon"

      "1 times The ball of lightning zaps dragon"

      "1 times The ball of lightning electrocutes dragon"

  Depends on how you mean mix them.  The server would combine that into 2
messages - one '2 times ball lightning zaps' and '2 times ball ...
electrocutes'.  There is some number of buffers which the server has for this,
so changes that result in a larger set of messages can start to mess that up.

  This can result in the order of messages getting a little mixed up, but for
most messages, that shouldn't be that big a deal (that is why the NDI_UNIQUE was
really there - for messages you know won't be merged, or messages you don't want
to get mixed up, like listings, that should be set.  However, since most people
see all the draw_info with that tag, any new one also gets passed with that
parameter, which isn't always right.

      If one looks at it from a system point of view, the messages should be

      collapsed on the server to save bandwidth. But the server can't (yet)

      update old messages in the client and that is needed if one wants more

      info to fit on the screen (like the ball lightning example). The best

      thing is probably to combine output-sync with my patch (if gtk was

      working that is). The "X times" could be removed in the client and then

      my new patch could further collapse the messages. Even better would be

      a way for the server to send a shorter message, telling which message

      was repeated and let the client repeat it, but I don't know if the few

      bytes it would save (and further client/server complication) would be

      worth it.

  As said, I think the server already does most of what you want.  It wouldn't
be hard for the server to send the first message when it shows up.  And the
server already handles collapsing multiple messages.

  The other reason to handle collapsing on the server is to reduce bandwidth
some, but not likely much an issue.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com