[CF-Devel] two new small additions

Sun Aug 24 16:42:08 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 01:23, Mark Wedel wrote:

      ok I've managed to add a new function called friendly_fire that checks

      if the attacker is PEACEFUL & attacking another player and will modify

      the damage done if this is the case.  What I currently have is that all

      peaceful attacks against other players does 1 pt of damage.  Since the

      idea was to lower the chace of accidentally killing other players this

      really gives the othre player a chance to get out of the way but can

      still do some damage if people are careless, a wand of lightning can

      still do a lot of damage one point at a time due to the speed of the

      damage.

  IMO, it might be more interesting for at least arrows/bolts to check this on
the to hit chance.  Eg, likelihood of hitting your friend with an arrow is much
lower, but if you hit, damage is the same.  This in the sense because your not
actually aiming at your friend.  This would also make it perhaps reasonable to
fire through your friend with a bow.

      It also does a check for to see if the damage is done by CONE, FBALL,

      SWARM_SPELL and POISON_CLOUD types which will do full damage even if the

      attacker is peaceful (you can still easily accidentally fry a party

      member with burning hands or a fireball in other words.)

  This will have to get changed with the new spell code that will be checked in
shortly.  I'd argue that BOLTS, RUNES, and perhaps a few others should also be
added to that list. (I'm fine with leaving bullets off, on the basis they are
relatively small and more aimed at a specific targer).

      Now I could instead do some sort of random percentage of damage rather

      than a single damage point, but if this is more popular idea it

      shouldn't be a lot of damage IMHO (~10%?).

  Where is the adjustment made?  If made earlier in hit player, then realize
that the targets protections and so forth may then come into play, so that 1
point may actually be considerably less.

  Most flexible would be to have the value a percentage setting that is setable
in the settings file.  Admins that don't want to give any help to players could
set it to 100%, while more friendly servers could set it much lower, with 1
point always be the least it does in all cases.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com