[CF-Devel] Stealing Idea + simple patch

Sun Aug 24 21:38:56 CDT 2003

Thank you for the suggestions.

        Likewise, one has to be careful about making things more expensive for

      known theives - unless there is a counterbalance to that - well known/liked

      characters get discounts.  Otherwise, same thing happen - get a another

      character to buy your stuff.  If there is a form of good reputation, then

      stealing becomes much riskier - do you take that chance that your

      reputation may get lower.

     If your a thief, do you care about reputation?  I'm thinking if you are a
thief character you are stealing from the store to gain experience for your
stealing skill.  Plus make some cash.

        At a higher level, I really wonder if this would get used much at all -

      money seems to be so plentiful, I can't see much reason that players would

      ever steal.

     Why have a steal skill or thiefs in the game at all if is pointless to steal?
Higher level players will probably need another outlet for the stealing
skills.
+ Here are some quick ideas to keep down the money supply.

Weekly permanent apartment rent.  When apartment map loads, calculate rent for
room and extenders.  Search for money in room or on character, and use as
rent.  If no money, close extenders +   cash in random item from room.  When
no stuff left, apartment closes again.  Obnoxius but effective.
Boats could charge for passage.
Thief monsters in higher level dungeons.  Pay the price for the experience.
Thiefs steal and run.  They prefer money, but take other items if money isn't
enough, or backstab player in retaliation  could avoid newbies. (Don't jog in
central park without cash!! :).  Once out of site thief hides,or is gone.
Kill him quick if you want your items back!  Anti theft spells and items
could help, but not 100%.

      Find another field in the object for your

      multiplier.

     Thanks for the advise

      I'm not sure if it makes sense for a shop to get more difficult to steal

      from as it gets stolen from.

     Will this reset when the map resets?  I don't think stores should be cleaned
out by thiefs.  Maybe just a stealing limit instead of difficulty?

        If your going to have levels of punishments with stacked arch's,

      something in the arch should say at what level that object takes

      precendence, and not something like 'each one is 10 levels higher'.

      hardcoded values in the code are very bad, and almost never stay around for

      very long, simply because someone at some point says I want finer control.

     Advise taken

Thanks
Adam

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com