[CF-Devel] /share/settings addition, _destroy_items_variable?=

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Dec 10 18:05:39 CST 2003

From: Todd Mitchell <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

Date:  Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:08:26 -0500

      > Here's the patch--this should help alleviate the problem of key items burning up if the server admin allows it.  Coded at the request of 66.6% of my server's 3 players.  Running on my Win32 server atm.

        I don't mind the patch all that much - it is minor, and is a configurable option.

        However, this now makes it so that no items are ever destroyed - this will

      likely result in shifting even more money/power to the player.

        Ideally, any item that is needed for a quest should be modified so that they

      are indestructible.

     That's what I thought the behaviour should be. I don't like this patch as it confuses the issue and takes away one of the principles of treasure generation.  Many maps are set up so that if you use a lot of fireballs or whatever you get less treasure. This allows mapmakers to create more flexable rewards. If an item is supposed to be indestructable it should be set that way on a per item basis (is what materials are for), not with a global server setting.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

Ideally is the keyword here... in most of the scorn royalty quests, I've had to redo many of them because I burnt the final item.  In the farmhouse outside scorn, I've burnt the troll's head...  I've destroyed the Special Chalice in oldcity--I don't remember a quest I *haven't* had to do twice due to carelessness...  The problem is that, ideally, all important items that shouldn't be able to be sold but are needed for a quest will be invulnerable.  However, in practice, many of the mapmakers don't even know how to make an item invincible (set hp to -1 and maxhp to -1) and if they do, either forget to set it for key items, or are too lazy to...

Just my opinion, but this idealism doesn't really work.  I don't even see it listed as one of the suggestions for mapmaking on real-time...

--
_____
Stwong -- Tutorial Writer, Programmer

     http://www.smempire.org/