[CF-Devel] /share/settings addition, _destroy_items_vari

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Dec 12 22:02:41 CST 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 11-Dec-03 Todd Mitchell wrote:

     If you are burning too much treasure then stop lobbing fireballs all the

     time, don't prevent items from burning up (well you can do what you like

     on your own server...).

      Then I fail to understand why you are arguing against the patch.  It's a

      setting, which unless I read the original email wrong, would be off by default.

      The originator of the patch is attempting to do what you suggest, "what he

      likes on his server".

      Why NOT add the optional behavior?

  Because any optional behaviour that is in CVS has the expectation of users
that it would work.

  I can envision cases right now where with that option enable, some new server
admin might set up there server with that, and some maps now don't work.  They
then post a message and state 'hey, map XYZ is broken'.

  Of which the only suggested fix that can be sent back is 'don't use that option'?

  It is true a server admin can do whatever they want.  And if they create bugs,
it is their own problem to fix.

  As said, I didn't have much problem with the patch until it was pointed out
that it will almost certainly break some maps.  So if such an option was added,
the comment would basically have to be 'do not enable this, because if you do,
some things won't work'.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com