[CF-Devel] new artifact & treasures idea

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Dec 18 02:12:35 CST 2003

       The one problem with this is increased cpu time.  Currently, the total

      chance of a treasure list is set when the treasure lists are first

      loaded (chancedifficulty).  In this way, if the treasureone list total

      chance is 85, we can generate that number between 1->85, and then as we

      walk the treasure list, substracting the chance for the object - when we

      get to <=0, that is the item to do.

       If adjustments to chance are allowed on the treasureone lists, now the

      list would have to be walked two times - once to find out the total

      chance based on difficulty, and then again to actually choose the item.

      But that probably isn't that big a deal.

I was thinking of chance adjustement on a 'sublist' level. IE 5% chance
of damned item, independantly from other 'sublists', and +2% per level
over 30 for instance.
It would not affect total chance, just the item generation.

       That may be less an issue.  I'd presume that it'd be more generic than

      'don't allow strange ring of ruling', but more likely of 'if this is a

      strange ring, then it can't get additional artifact abilities'.  And in

      that case, its much simpler - it may just mean we set the randomitems

      for the strange ring to be empty (presuming that since it is an

      artifact, things like material and other abilities shouldn't be added).

Indeed depends on the granularity we want for forbidding combinations.
If it's not too hard to implement i'd go for the finest granularity (ie
forbid strange ring of ruling but let go strange ring of thieves)

       Well, I'd imagine one coudl probably write a nice tool to display the

      treasurelist in a friendly to display format (hyperlink or something to

      show how the lists are related to each other).

Kinda like the java editor displays treasure list.

       The counter to this is that the archetypes file disappear, and

      everything is more public (you don't need to look at treasure.c to

      figure out how attributes to some items are added).

Didn't you mean 'artifacts file'?
And since all files are public in the first place, I don't really think
that's an issue to make things more public. Quite the contrary, maybe
it'll give non-tech-savy people a chance to come up with nice items :)
Also will give more options for server customisation, since you'll be
able to change a text file instead of hacking the code.

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com