[CF-Devel] Client Sound Server

Wed Mar 5 07:54:02 CST 2003

[I have no clue how sound is implemented now, so my comments may be
somewhat ignorant.]

       To me, right now, one sound that I would like to see added is something for

     the grates - that is a rare enough event that it wouldn't 'pollute' things so

     much as to get overplayed.  But could add some nice atmosphere - pull that

     lever, and even if the gate it activates isn't visible, might still hear the

     workings of the machinery.

This indicates that sound activations should definitely be part of the
arches.  That way a map maker can turn off sounds for machinery that the
player isn't supposed to know about, such as grates that roll boulders to
generate random actions depending on which button they land on.

Volume could be a factor of distance.

Of course, as you point out, this gives the player more information, so it
is something map designers need to think about carefully.

--PC

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com