[CF-Devel] new firebolt gfx

Tue Mar 25 03:05:56 CST 2003

I think i found the reason why somebody claimed the
image was broken. A friend showed me the effect
on Windows-XP with the dx-client.

The | bolt looks like + .

What happens here, is that some png libraries don't expect
more than one color to be transparent.

If you open the image in the gimp, you can see what is "wrong"
with the picture.
Activate the "color pick" tool.
By clicking around in the transparent area you can see, that there
are different colors in the alpha channel.

When you erase a pixel to transparency in the gimp, it will
keep it's color information.
Thus, one can't get rid of these "residues" with the eraser.

The easiest way to remove this stuff is to
"select by alpha"
"reverse selection"
"fill" with black or whatever is background
(i like to use something that gives nice contrast when viewing in
xv or other viewer )
now erase the selection again to transparency

The problem ought to be gone then.

Additionally the picture will be shorter, as there are more
areas with the same color.

ps. I like the new firebolt graphics.

Bernd Edler

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com