[CF-Devel] Dragon Guild and Devourers cult

Tue Mar 18 00:42:36 CST 2003

David Stuart wrote:

      Hi All,

      I started a dragon character recently and am having problems with the

      devourer cult. Basically I joined up and it changed my race to "undead"

      and I cannot enter the Dragon Guild anymore.

      I am using v 1.4.0 of the client.

      I worked around it for now by patching my race back to dragon, but I

      imagine that changes something else..

      I also tried setting my race to "undead,dragon" but that didn't work

      either.

  changing it back to dragon basically removes the advantages of being undead.

  One could argue this is the right behavor - when you join the devourers, you
become undead, and thus lose your normal racial abilities.

  However, this is probably a bit harsh.  At some level, the idea that a new
convert is now undead seems a bit extreme - it would probably make more sense
that at some time, you can do a quest and become undead.  To become a lich or
whatever shouldn't be a simple matter - I could certainly (from a role playing
perspective) be an ideal of people joining the cult to become undead.

  It's perhaps even a bit odder than if you then worship some other god, you
become living again.  which is a bit odd.

  I actually don't have a good fix.  Devourers need to be undead.  The simple
solution is that if you are a dragon player, don't become a follower of the
devourers.

  I don't believe all the code supports common seperated values for races for
monsters.  Eg, a weapon could be something like 'slaying goblin,orc' and the way
the logic work, would be OK.  However, a race of 'undead,dragon' may not be
handled right.

  BTW, if it was, it would be a disadavantage, as you'd be suscpetible to things
that hits either undead or dragons (eg, could get killed by those arrows of
dragon slaying, or arrows of undead slaying).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com