[CF-Devel] [Crossfire-devel] Client Sound Server and ALSA9

Tue Mar 4 23:55:34 CST 2003

Bob Tanner wrote:

      On Friday 28 February 2003 04:54 pm, Tim Hentenaar wrote:

     Hallo all,

     Is anyone working on writing ALSA9 code for the Sound Server?

     I've been working at it, and if no one else is working on it, i'll go ahead

     and finish it, then send a patch :P

      The sounds are so pathetic I don't think ALSA9 is worth it. :-) If we had

      better sounds I could see the effort.

  To some extent, I agree that the sounds aren't very good.

  However, I'm never really going to discourage people from adding support for
more platforms.

  Adding new/better sounds has varying amounts of difficulty - if you just want
to add a new sound for an event that is already defined, thats very simple.

  However, the way sounds are currently done in the server (IMO) is not very
good, since they are all hardcoded references.

  I've probably mentioned ideas in the past for improving this - basic idea
would be to something something for sounds similar to the anim for images (eg,
sound_speed, sound sequence, etc).  However, related to that, when to play
sounds should somehow be tagged in the object (play when applied, play when
killed, etc).

  To me, right now, one sound that I would like to see added is something for
the grates - that is a rare enough event that it wouldn't 'pollute' things so
much as to get overplayed.  But could add some nice atmosphere - pull that
lever, and even if the gate it activates isn't visible, might still hear the
workings of the machinery.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com