[CF-Devel] Various bugs in the server.

Wed Mar 19 23:45:02 CST 2003

     phil at theperlguru.com

      wrote:

      Three bugs.  The first, Glaurung reported in IRC.  A dragon joining

      the devourers cult can't enter the dragon guild, as the race gets set

      to 'undead' upon joining the cult.  This was discovered on a 1.4.0

      server, but I'm guessing it's still a bug.

  Or feature, depending on your point of view.  It probably should be considered
a bug - a dragon that is unable to get his dragon abilities would probably be a
pretty uninteresting player.  I don't see any convenient way of fixing this.
One could easily document it away, eg, 'The dragon guild is open to all dragons.
  However, the guild masters look down on any dragons that forsake their
heritage and join the ranks of the undead followers of Devourers.  Such undead
dragons are no longer allowed into the guild'.

      The second bug is that the chests in the snake pit, which are supposed

      to be openable only with the key, can be opened by being burned open.

      No key?  Simple, cast firebolt, and grab the venomtooth from the

      rubble.

  The right approach is to probably change the material on this so that it can't
be destroyed (change the material for this one depositbox on the map).  We could
add special code which tries to check for this, but that just makes things more
complicated (now need to check for object type + if it has slaying) - i'd much
rather just set the object to be non destroyable on that map.

  One could also make for interesting maps other places.  Eg, put some
spellbooks in a similar chest - sure, you could burn the chest open, but who
knows, good chance you'd burn those spellbooks you want.  But such grey areas of
adventuring are probably what make things more interesting.

      The third bug is that poison cloud, icestorm, and other attacks that

      really shouldn't cause items to blow up, cause items to blow up.  I

      seem to recall someone else reporting this, but it's really obvious

      when you get a screenful of burnouts from a poison cloud.

  I've fixed this.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com