[CF-Devel] PATCH, fixing ac/wc overflow after holy possession/bless/curse

Thu Mar 6 00:57:57 CST 2003

I agree with Mark, it really shouldn't stack.. another spell that
probably shouldn't stack, at least not 1000 times is the flaming aura
for gorokh. While not super powerful, you can wiz through anything not
fire immune at incredible speeds once cast enough :).

dnh

      Jochen Suckfuell wrote:

      >On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:35:43PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      >It's just not logical that you gain AC and WC with every holy possession,

      >and

      >then suddenly you're back to normal values that don't improve any more

      >(until

      >you overflow a second time). The very common problem I have with this is

      >that

      >I cast holy possession to max out my AC, and oops, I did one too much and

      >my

      >AC rolled over and stays at my normal values. Now I have to wait until the

      >possessions wear off and then refresh them, until I can go and fight. This

      >happens that way for years now and I find it very annoying.

       I agree that if it is decided that holy possessions should stack, that

       should be fixed.

      >There are monsters in the game that are very dangerous until you have AC

      >-80

      >or lower (I can't imagine fighting evil masters with AC -30). If

      >possessions

      >don't stack any more, I see no chance to reach such a low AC.

      >I think even those hyper kobolds in the Cave of Ordeal would hurt very

      >much if

      >you don't have a better AC than what you can reach with your armour (_if_

      >you're allowed to wear any).

       I note that none of the other force type objects (eg, protection spells)

       stack with each other.

       And in fact, there is even code in that function to prevent a player from

      having both holy possession and bless at the same time.

       These facts lead me to believe it is an unintended consequence that the

      effects are in fact currently stacking.

       I also have a problem in that the fact it does stack basically means that

       how you get wc and ac bonuses from other sources really isn't important -

      cast the spell a dozen times, and it really doesn't make a difference what

      ac your getting from your items, and likewise wc.

       I think to some extent the difficulty of monsters will get adjusted if

      necessary.  OTOH, it could also be a case where monsters really were meant

      to be that tough, and the fact that there was a way to get such a good

      ac/wc was not intentional.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com