[CF-Devel] speed issue - those crazy rats?

Thu May 8 12:12:13 CDT 2003

Im working on a client in java, and I ran into a POSSIBLE issue that seems
to happen on the linux c clients also.

If you go into an area that has TONS of rats - those stupid rats that
multiply like crazy and fill the entire area, things seem to slow down.

For example, normally when pressing the arrow keys to move around,
everything is nice and fast, but when you get to these rats, your keystrokes
are delayed a lot of time.   So you end up buffering like 3-8 keystrokes
sometimes....

I think it partially depends on your connection to the server - locally its
faster of course.

SO I looked at the code some more, and it seems the map1 command is sent
continuously for animation purposes - like the rats wagging their tails.  At
least I think that is right.

Has anyone thought about this issue?
I think it would be nice maybe to incorporate an anim command or something
similar so that the client doesnt have to deal with tons of map1 commands
coming in, so it can respond to keydowns and send those commands to the
server as quick as possible, and get the new map1 commands because of
movement as quick as possible...

make sense, or hopefully am I missing something?

-Scott

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com