[CF-Devel] cfclient issues

Sun May 18 05:17:48 CDT 2003

On some machines (like SUNs at my university), I'm still bound to
use cfclient.
I've noticed that cfclient has a few problems:

- Darkness doesn't work. The tiles are either fully visible or pitch black.
  I suspect this might be due to the transparent darkness code not working
  or something?

- Fog of war doesn't work either. Probably related, but I'm not sure
  how it is supposed to work. As it stands, I can't tell which squares are
  really visible and which are fog of war. That's quite confusing.
  The worst thing about it is that the fog of war tiles stay like "frozen"
  after moving out of sight. That means there are sometimes images
  of myself/spell animations/bolts etc which stay "frozen" on those tiles.

- When large parts of the map view change (like when applying an
  exit, or casting dimesion door) there are display errors for a short
  moment. Some tiles go black/white for a split second, then return
  to normal. That's not terrible, but it didn't happen in older versions.

Is cfclient kinda "out of support"? Well, I can understand if it is, but
it would be really great if the issues could be improved with some
minimal effort:
1. If it was possible to disable fog of war for example, that would do fine
  for cfclient. Fog of war is nice but really not neccessary, so instead of
  having a "broken" fog of war, I'd much rather disable it.
2. It would also be great if the old darkness code could be reused for
   cfclient, where patterns of black and transparent pixels used to
   "simulate" darkness. That was not perfect maybe, but good enough,
   and a lot better than the current state (not working). ;-)

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more

     http://www.gmx.net