[CF-Devel] cfclient issues

Wed May 21 08:06:58 CDT 2003

Big thanks to Mark for repairing the darkness and fogofwar
code in cfclient.

Unfortunately, I have a new problem now: After a short while of
play (a few minutes), all kinds of tiles start to get messed up
with stipple patterns from the darkness code.
I'm using SuSE linux and it happens every time I use cfclient.
While continuing to play it gets worse and worse to the point
where almost every tile is stippled.

The effect is gone only when I disable both darkness and
fogofwar, which suggests it may have to do with the stipple
drawing.

I would make a screenshot if I knew how to do it. :-P
Anyone know how to make a screenshot in SuSE linux, KDE desktop?

An other topic is the problem of wrongfully drawn objects:

      > The worst thing about it is that the fog of war tiles stay like

      > "frozen" after moving out of sight. That means there are sometimes

      > images of myself/spell animations/bolts etc which stay "frozen"

      > on those tiles.

What I didn't realize at first is that this actually seems to be
a problem with both cfclient and gtkclient, and disabling fogofwar
does not make it go away.

I'm still not sure what causes the effect, but I suspect it might
have to do with changes in the map-drawing routines that came with
fogofwar. What seems to happen is that the map updating logic is
incorrect to the point that it sometimes allows wrong outdated
objects to stay in the view without being redrawn.

To describe the effect more clearly:
It happens especially often when moving fast and fighting.
The wrongfully drawn objects are mostly spell effects, projectiles,
parts from multipart monsters and player images.
The "wrongfully" drawn objects do not go away even when they
are clearly in my line of sight. Sometimes I have to move over
them directly to make them go away.

The worst part about it is that I sometimes see monsters which
don't exist. Multipart monsters often get "messed up" with parts
remaining while others dissappear.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more