[CF-Devel] quest exp rewards (RE: monsters, ...)

Fri May 23 22:37:54 CDT 2003

      Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > Two problems with having a xp creator arch seem to be:

      > a. if you hand out xp specifically for a skill and the

      >    player doesn't have the skill

      > b. how to stop loitering around the creator

      I have presented possible solutions for both of these.

      However, I want to point out that named problems already apply

      to most treasures and quests in some way, and have existed for

      many years.

      Of course the problems should be fixed, but I don't see them

      as utlimate obstacles, or as reasons *not* to allow skill

      exp rewards.

Absolutly - it applies even more for money.  I was extolling the plugin, not panning xp rewards however.
Xp rewards is a good idea, but it dosen't really require any new developent, if you use the python plugin I am pretty sure you can do it now (and probably better than with an xp creator arch).
One of the reasons that there is so much treasure abuse is the fact that it is easly to drop big items onto the map and not so easy to create safeguards for them.  This will also occur with an xp generator - good maps will make good use of it and bad maps will make abuse of it. This won't go away using scripting, but it might be easier to be more flexable.  Perhaps a little library of python script 'arches' along these lines is in order...

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com