[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-maps] Fast worldmap rendering script

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Nov 10 09:45:23 CST 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:57:45PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      H. S. Teoh wrote:

      <much snipped>

      >Anyway, I hope somebody will find this script useful. Feedback is welcome.

       I coudl see the script useful.  There isn't really anything bad about

       having different tools to do the same thing.  I actually don't use the

      combined images much anyways, but whatever people find useful.

     [snip]

Somebody raised the point that it might be good to actually base the
generated images on actual tile pngs. This should be doable, if people are
interested. I think that it is likely to be still much faster than
restarting the JVM 900 times (for those of us who only want to glance at
the bigworld map once in a while without having to maintain a cache of
individual map images).

I personally find it useful to see what my maps look like on the large
scale. (E.g., the Great Dark Mire looks like an "eye" on the main
continent because of the ring of water that separates the inner swamp from
the outer swamp.) It's good for judging distances between landmarks;  eg.,
I placed the (ex-)fishing village slightly NW of where I originally
thought to put it, because otherwise it would be too close to another lake
and wouldn't fit the storyline as well.

"Holy war is an oxymoron." -- Lazarus Long

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com