[CF-Devel] Large forest in big world.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Nov 12 08:48:52 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:40:34AM -0500, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      >   Well, that's one concern - if large quest maps are placed directly on the

      > world maps, that can really start to use up space (one may say that for the most

      > part, the world is empty, so what's the big deal.  But there are certainly

      > limited areas of terrains of specific type).  So such a big map could basically

      > use up a large portion of the swamp, such that if someone wanted to do another

      > swamp located adventure, not a lot of space left (or they basically end up being

      > right next to each other.

      I think it is the difference between a locale and an adventure.  Having

      a locale like say Scorn or the Great Mire complete with special

      circumstances (say the Great Mire has a few nasty critters, Scorn has no

      magic...).  These areas are interesting, can have 'features' like shops

      or bridges or packs of wolves or magic fountains or portals... and many

      different adventures could take place in them.

How nasty can nasty be? :-) I've just made another monster, which is very
deadly, and I'm wondering whether to leave it out in the open or keep it
within a quest submap where innocent passers-by won't get mauled without
warning.

      On the other hand - with the exception of a few islands or smallish

      structures (ruins, towns, castles) most specific adventures should

      probably be off the map and accessed via buildings or doors or invisible

      exits(lots of ways to play with these, think of the old world maps). Of

      course there are probably exceptions to this but generally if there is a

      multi-map area like a forest or a desert or whatever then many specific

      adventures should be able to coexist and utilize the area atmosphere.

     [snip]

I'm currently thinking of a Three Sisters Valley-style quest, where there
are a bunch of locations in different spots on the swamp that you must
visit. I guess this could co-exist with other (future) quests as long as
there is no confusion of which map belongs to which quest. (If it comes
down to it, it doesn't really matter; I just have to use locked doors with
keys/special items to make sure that certain maps are accessible only if
you're on that quest.)

Life would be easier if I had the source code. -- YHL

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com