[CF-Devel] Patch: collect_images.pl

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Nov 28 20:19:14 CST 2003

H. S. Teoh wrote:

      On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:51:39PM +0100, Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     The basic problem is that Windows differentiates between text files

     (translate between \n and \r\n) and binary files, whereas UNIX doesn't. So

     "text mode" works just fine on binary files in UNIX, but breaks horribly

     under Windows (anything resembling \r\n gets mangled on read, and all \n

     gets mangled on write). Perl uses text mode by default, which is fine for

     UNIX, but breaks on Windows when you manipulate binary files.

     Ok, but does forcing binary mode, as my patch does, break under UNIX?

     Besides, for crossfire.[01] containing the whole PNGs, it's just weird to

     use TEXT mode, and not binary mode, even if it happens to work under

     UNIX :)

      [snip]

      As I said, under UNIX there is no difference at all between text and

      binary mode, so it doesn't break anything.

  Yep - I don't see any issue with commiting that patch.  It should have no
effect on the unix side of things.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com