[CF-Devel] A few glitches

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Nov 29 23:55:41 CST 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      Playing on crossfire.metalforge.net, i noticed the 'bomb' trap seem

      broken. I set off one, and nothing happened. Runes of create bomb are

      ok, though. Summoning runes are broken too.

  Well, I just tried this out, and all seemed to work ok.

  I had made some changes to the summoning runes a little while back - possible
that I hadn't updated that server.  But the bomb stuff seems to be unchanged,
yet I made a simple test map, put a chest there with a rune of create bomb in
it, and sure enough, if I opened it, the bomb was created.

      I think there is also a scroll-writing issue. From the code

      'write_scroll' in skills.c, there is no check for the spell being

      written... So you can happily write down sanctuary, or any god-given spell!

      (i did _not_ succeed in writing one, too low literacy, but i had

      messages of reading the scroll while attempting to write it. Also the

      code is pretty straightforward)

  That is correct, and intentional.

  Since we currently only allow scrolls to be written (not spellbooks), this
isn't that abusive.

  But the reason is more that it is much more difficult with the new spell code
to tell if a spell is a special spell or not.  In the old code, spells were just
a table, and so very easy to tell the properties of a given spell (Eg, spell 56
may be cleric, and not normally found in scrolls, so disallow).

  The only way to really try and do that now days would be to traverse the
treasurelists for the scroll and see if the spell in question shows up anyplace
- if not, must be a special spell.

  OR alternatively, a flag could be used, like 'not_inscribable', and add that
to the archs.

  But the question I guess really, is do people see this as being much an issue?
  I personally thought it may add some more player interaction (players trading
scrolls back and forth for spells they normally could not get).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com