[CF-Devel] Suggestion for new skills

Wed Oct 8 11:52:02 CDT 2003

      I also tested the new system, and I can really understand

      your notion. However, I think the main problem here is

      the split of the magic skill being problematic.

     [...]

      If wizardry was one single skill, it could have full control

      over spellpoints, which also would seem more appropriate.

      It's a similar thing with one- and two-handed weapon skill.

      What this split will probably cause is that fighter-class

      players pick only the better one of the two and stick with it.

      Unless we enforce a global rule like "no one handed weapon

      is allowed to have attacktype x", I see little reason for

      the split. Two handed weapons taking up the shield slot

      seems good enough to me, in resepect for diversity.

I have to disagree with this - having one and two handed weapon skills
does make  a lot of sense and for the reasons you mention- it sort of
equates to the different wizard skills.  Fighters will either choose one
or two handed weapons and stick with that or be generally less good with
both depending on the player style.  The basic point being that you will
not be able to use every weapon with equal skill. (That demon slayer is
one handed - sorry Conan...) The only balance I see necessary is
generally two handed weapons should be slightly more powerful since you
cannot use a shield.  Now moving foreward it would make sense to
capitalize on this by making special weapons in one class and not having
an equilivant in the other weapon class.  If someone does create a two
handed sword of X try to not have someone else make a one handed sword of X.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com