[CF-Devel] Server crash: more info

Sun Oct 12 05:13:19 CDT 2003

Experimented on my local server.
There's a bug with dragon abilities, and i think that's why
crossfire.metaforge.net crashes.

Playing a fire dragon (default attenuation). When i become level 15 i
get dragonbreath, but that crashes the server.
Explanation, from player.c:3073
    item = &(tr->item->clone);

    /* grant direct spell */
    if (item->type == SPELLBOOK) {
    if (check_spell_known (who, item->inv->name))
        return;

with tr->item->name == "spelldirect_dragonbreath"
except item->inv is NULL
so breaks at item->inv->name

That explains why only I would crash cf.mf.net, since i'm (for now) the
only fire dragon, and i'm REALLY close to getting level 15... So killing
something gets me over the edge, and crashes with null pointer...

Now I don't know enough about the new skill system to fix that...

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com